Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Getty Center


On the tram...

Just so you know...that is not a roll of paper towels on the ground- it's a trash can...yes, that's a giant bug with a giant T-pin stuck in it.


Jack getting his shoe tied...


I'm sure this is much brighter in the Spring/Summer.


I think this was Jack's favorite...go figure...oddly, it was named "Illusions of Grandeur".



Emily looks a little sad here...but that's because she was starving by then!

Last weekend we took a little jaunt up to L.A. and visited the Getty Center. It is a large museum. Jack liked the fact that you have to take a tram from the parking lot to get there. All the kids wanted to know why so many of the art works had naked people in them. I tried to explain something about the beauty of the human form...but I think they still thought that was pretty bizarre. Emily and I signed up for a family drawing class. They provided us with quality drawing supplies that we got to keep and taught us the basic principles of drawing people...the class was called "Strike a Pose!". And of course our final drawing to place in the sculpture section of the museum where half the people were naked...so I chose to draw Venus and Emily chose to draw "Bust of a Man"--a sculpture that was head and chest only! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you guys do soooo many fun things as a family - shhhh, don't tell my kids, they'd be jealous :) I LOVE Jacks favorite sculpture,that's pretty hillarious.