Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jane Wayne Day





Last Saturday I got to don cammies and boots to participate in Jane Wayne Day with the other H&S battalion wives. We started off by breaking into platoons and being assigned to "drill instructors" then marched over to ISMT which is an indoor weapons simulator. We shot pistols, M16s, and various larger weapons (I can't remember their names). They were hooked up to some kind of pressurized system to give them a realistic feel when firing. We did pretty horribly- during the rifle portion 4 of us shot off over 500 rounds and only hit two of our targets on the movie screen. Then we did a "shuffle" (jog) while calling cadence over to the large parade field where they had a tactical vehicles and communication display. Then we participated in a mini modified Combat Fitness Test. We ran just a 1/4 mile then did overhead presses with a rubber rifle for a minute (see video)- I did 96. Then we sprinted, did low crawl, high crawl, push ups, and ran back with the rifle overhead. Unfortunatley the camera battery died and Chris couldn't video tape the CFT. Then we practiced a little drill. We concluded with watching demos from K-9, SFT (like SWAT), and EOD which had one of those bomb robots. Afterwards we got to have a picnic with our families. I ended up with a couple blisters on my feet, but overall, I had a good time. I think Chris felt a little tripped out by seeing me in cammies.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Steph, I think you missed your calling! You look great out there...a real natural. I wish we could have been there to cheer you on. Sounds like a really fun day. Maybe Chris will get you a gun and membership to a local shooting club for your next birthday!