Saturday, April 29, 2006

Kuwait

Chris has just left Kuwait and will be floating around in the ocean for a while. Here are some of the pictures he sent me.





This is Chris & Randy (for those of you who don't know, Randy is the husband of my high school friend, Jessica...he was first a Marine, then several years later, a National Guardsman) They just happened to be on the same base in Kuwait at the same time!
Chris' email: "The Marines did a convoy course. I worked as the Range Safety Officer. There wasn't much to the job, basically I watched out for people straying onto the range. I had to watch out for Camel and Sheep Herders. Took a photo with a Bedouin Camel Herder. He let me sit on the camel. I later learned that he would have given me a ride if I had asked. That was the highlight of my day. Those people are tough, it was 100 degrees plus all day today and they walk around in the dessert with no shade and little water. I gave the Bedouin a bottle of water for being nice."

"One of the pictures is of a wrecked ship at the port. Apparently this is somewhat of a memorial from the original gulf war. Apparently Saddam Hussein put some high ranking Kuwaiti's aboard the ship, took it out to sea and then sunk the ship while the Kuwaiti's families watched in obvious horror. Not sure how true the story is, some KBR personnel told some of the Marines the significance of the ship."


No comments: